1985 Yarn Sale


IMG_2609
Originally uploaded by kbshee.
I saw an ad in the paper the other day for a yarn sale...name brands, wholesale prices, prices lower than 1985. Books and accessories too. So the dogs and I drove out there this morning..about ten miles from here...and arrived at a barn at a farm. The barn was filled with yarns I've never heard of, lots of acrylics, lots of old books and magazines, roving, weaving supplies...all piled in boxes and tables with no rhyme or reason.

Cool.

I ended up with a nice little haul. Four hanks of chenille...about 160 yards, which is only enough for a little baby hat or something like that, but I liked the colors. Maybe a scarf, a lacy scarf type thing. Anyway, all 4 hanks for $10, the price on the label is $4.75. Going counter clockwise in the picture, I bought 4 balls of Fairhaven fingering weight yarn by brunswick: 185 yards per ball, in a blackberry color. 100% wool, total cost $8.00. I think it might make a lacy shawl or scarf. Next, I bought 4 balls of Indiecita Alpaca in a natural color50 grams per ball, 2 ply. I have no idea on the yardage! The cost was $4.50 per ball which seems good. Finally, the bargain: I uncovered a bag containing three skeins of Manos in a pretty brown color: $18 total.

I'm pleased. I have no idea what I will do with the yarn, but I'll think of something. I'm thinking about a tote bag, maybe felted, out of the Manos. A hat and mittens out of the alpaca. A lacy scarf/shawl out of the fingering weight yarn. Ideas welcome!

I also bought a copy of Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Without Tears for a couple dollars, and several old Vogue Knittings from the early 1990s: $1 each.

Comments