5.5 Hours I'll Never Get Back

I spent 5.5 hours in a "Grant Proposal Writing" workshop yesterday, sponsored by my esteemed University for faculty interested in getting big bucks in government funding. I was looking forward to it, since I've never been able to crack the grant writing code. However, the 5.5 hours were broken down into the following activities:


  • Hokey 'introduce yourself' to people you'll never
    see again activity:.25 hours
  • Information on grant funding organizations, which was
    superfluous to this group since we were supposed to come
    to the workshop with a funding source in mind: .50hours
  • 'Canned' Presentations by University administrators
    containing no applicable information : 1.5 hours
  • Interruptions by workshop participants with
    personal agendas: .75 hours
  • Two five minute bathroom breaks : .50 hours
  • Instructor saying "do you guys get this?" .50 hours
  • Actual useful information on writing grants:1.5 hours


    The highlight was meeting Nora the Crab Researcher, who sat next to me. She studies Crab Molting. She is my 'partner' for the pre-part-two workshop, which involves putting together a draft of a proposal, sending it to your partner, and getting critiques. She's looking forward to critiquing my proposal on schema theory and pharmaceutical web sites. And personally, learning about crab ektoskeletons was the clear highlight of my day.

    And no, I didn't take knitting. What was I thinking?
  • Comments

    Popular Posts