A long long time ago...

...when I was a theatre major in college (for one year), a professor tried to drum into our heads the need to speak General American English. That is, English that was free of regional vernacular and had a standard (and probably non-threatening) accent. I recall not doing that well as she tested us, although being a native Midwesterner I thought I had a leg up on some of my East Coast classmates. Alas, my syllabant 's' was my undoing.

Anyway, I found an interesting quiz online today regarding this very topic, and found out:




Your Linguistic Profile:



55% General American English

25% Yankee

10% Dixie

10% Upper Midwestern

0% Midwestern


Interesting. Clearly, six years in Boston had somewhat of an effect (yes, I call it a rotary, for those of you who have taken the quiz) and three years in Tennessee left a bit of Dixie in me.




It

Comments

Steve said…
That was quick and easy! Here are my results.