Good book needed

MWF seeks sort of but not too heavy book (in terms of content).

I just can't find a good book lately. I started "Veronica" by Mary Gaitskill, and put it down immediately. THen I got half way through "Lost in the Forest" by Sue Miller and couldn't think of a single reason to keep reading it. Now I'm reading the first chapter (for the third time) of "To Say Nothing of the Dog" by the author of The Domesday Book (can't think of her name now). It's not bad, it just is not that great.

And oh, there's always Middlemarch, but it is just so DAUNTING.

Suggestions please.

Comments

Stephanie said…
Do you like historical novels? If so, try The Dress Lodger by Sheri Holman or The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber. Both were awesome reads!
Shelley said…
Anything by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, anything by Milan Kundera, anything by Dorothy Sayers. That would be my list.
Kucki said…
I'll second Garcia Marquez and will add John Irving to the anything off list. But I am also thinking of Laura Pedersen's Beginner's Luck. This is a comeing of age story that has humor and a bit food for thought. An all time favorite is Rita Mae Brown's Six of One.
rebecca said…
I have to admit I haven't started this one yet (bought it, but haven't started reading) -- Saving Fish From Drowning by Amy Tan. It came highly recommended by a friend of mine.
chittavrtti said…
It probably depends on whether you want somehting light or something heavy. I would say anything by Charles de Lint; Jasper Fforde is fun if you like puns and literary references; Haruki Murakami is wonderfully surreal; Red Earth and Pouring Rain is good if you want a little bit of everthing including philosophy****CV

Popular Posts