Re-Sock-Lution

So my New Year's resolution is a bit late.

Anyway.

Amie is keeping a running tally of socks knit during 2006 (two thousand sox, get it?) with the goal of reaching 2000 by the end of the year. No real good reason, really, just because it is sort of fun to watch the number grow. As a dedicated sock knitter (I finished Tim's magic stripes pair last night, AND cast on for my first pair made with Schaeffer Anne) I of course will participate in the Year of the Sock.

But I sorta wanted more.

So I decided that, for every sock I knit this year, I'll give a $1 to Heifer International . This organization gives livestock to people who need it...to make a living, to make a life. Clara at KNitters Review organizes a holiday donation every year, and DH and I give to this organization also (ask my SIL Candace who was the recipient of 1/10 of a cow for Christmas this year!). So I thought I'd start a tally of my socks and will give the total amount to Heifer International at the end of the year.

How about you? If you're commemorating your knitting in some way, think about perhaps giving to others too. There are lots of charity opportunities (check out Leanne's Blog for some information on a great kid's charity opportunity (but do it fastfastfast). The Yarn Harlot encouraged donations to MSF (Doctors without Borders) after the Tsunami last year. A little bit can help to a lot of organizations.

OK, off my soapbox now. Have a good day, sock on!

Comments

Popular Posts