I Face Lace


branching out #1
Originally uploaded by kbshee.
I want to like lace knitting, I really do.

I love those big old lacy shawls that have sheep and leprechauns and skylines and pictures of your whole family done with yarnovers and knitting two togethers, I really really do. I want to be able to sit down and whip one out. I have the yarn.

But, we just don't seem to get on, me and Lace. I thnk it is because lace is sooo demanding: You Must Do It This Way. If you don't, every row will be screwed for the rest of the project.

But it says it in such a nice, gentle way, I want to like it and do what it says.

So. Here is Branching Out from Knitty. I'm knitting this in that Alpaca Brush that I got for Christmas...perfect for lace because it is soft and fluffy and warm and looks gorgeous. I've done 7 or 8 pattern repeats (so I'm probably, honestly, about a fifth of the way done). So that's only 70 or 80 rows.

And I've ripped out, oh, 20 rows? Two major frogs on this pup. Can you see the 'spine' that goes up the center? Yep, one stitch here or there off the pattern, and your spine basically goes away. Call the neurosurgeons, my spine is gone. Frustrating.

So. I'll keep going on this. I've created a couple little tricks (knit in threes) (check the spine) so it isgoing a bit better. But I just don't know why i put myself through this. Do you?

Lace support appreciated!

Comments

Kucki said…
You can do this, keep going, the result will be lovely. Mine certainly turned out nice.
Alyssa said…
I just swatched my first lace for my Knitting Olympics challenge...I don't know what I was thinking. I will give it a try, but who knows what will happen. Your branching out looks lovely:)