Responsibility

I've just about had it with many of my soon-to-be-college-graduate students.

This term has been awful in terms of personal responsibility. Broken printers. Late Busses. Being confused on what day of the week it is, and therefor not coming to class ("I came yesterday, honest"). I set very firm rules at the start of the term that makes me feel like I'm dealing with children ("don't print stuff out ten minutes before class. Take an earlier bus") and I am ready to scream, scream, scream at them all.

Then. I'm running a workshop next weekend that has competitive admission and involves high-powered alums in the ad industry coming down to participate and work with students. Out of the 20 students in the workshop, I was contacted by three (THREE!) who have had something 'come up' on the Saturday of the workshop, and would it be OK if they didn't come?

Uh, no.

The three reasons were: job interviews in New York, a wedding, and a visit by an Aunt.

Let me tell you, those three were sorry they asked.

At the risk of sounding like a crochety old lady, just WHAT IS UP??? Why do they act like this? What is going to happen when they enter the 'real world'?

Aargh.

Comments

Stephanie said…
Good for you. Give them a dose of reality. What a pain people are sometimes. I'm glad I didn't have to deal with that this week!
chittavrtti said…
I am having the same situation this week. Admittedly my class is MUCH younger. Still there seems to be something in the air this past coouple of weeks. I just remain as consistent as possible given the mutability of life in general. Then I go scream somewhere :)***CV

Popular Posts