Marquette Socks!


marquette socks
Originally uploaded by kbshee.
My former Phd student Kati is leaving Eugene to start her new academic life as an Assistant Professor at Marquette University in Milwaukee. I promised her a pair of socks in Marquette colors (blue and gold) about six months ago, and promptly forgot. I remembered at her graduation, when I realized I only had about a month to get them done. And then i promptly forgot about making them til last Friday at the Black Sheep Gathering.

Where thank heavens, i found this colorway, "heavy metal' in Socks That Rock Medium Weight. I used a baby cable rib pattern for the ribbing and a traditional heel (not sure what this is called, but your basic cuff down heel). Yes, I've discovered that I can pick up stitches like a champ. Not sure when I acquired this skill but whatever. I cast on for these when, maybe last Saturday?, and they're done today. The leg isn't very long...just twenty rows til the heel starts. And the medium weight is great because I only cast on 48 stitches for the sock, so it all works up pretty fast.

I also did some spinning today and returned to work on my first real lace project...we had a cloudy day today and I spent most of the day knitting in celebration of the clouds.

Comments

Yvonne said…
Hi Kim - Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm so envious that you had so much time at BSG. It was very much a rush-through shopping excursion for me. Next year, I'll plan ahead & work in some classes, too. Your socks are great!
JulieLoves2Knit said…
Kim - that was fast!! I actually tried something with my Sock Candy - the flip flop socks that Blue Moon had at the booth - but my flip flops are two tight for socks - so will rip and do something else - amybe there is enough for short socks - I only bought one skein of Sock Candy.....
BSG was really fun - wish I could have met up with other bloggers - that would have made it wonderful. Did enjoy myself and I stayed in my budget!!!!!
Jodie said…
You finished those so quick! Very beautiful. I haven't been able to work on much this last week. :(
Cheryl said…
Thanks for visiting my blog. Didn't realize but you're one of my flicr contacts. BSG is always fun and I love visiting Eugene too. Next year I'm going to sit in the spinner's circle and try to connect with more fiber bloggers.

peace

Popular Posts