Little Black Beaded Bag


little black purse
Originally uploaded by kbshee.
I go to maybe one dress-up event a year. I usually can pull an outfit together, and dig out a pair of pumps from my Glory Days working at an ad agency, but i never know what to do about a bag.

So I knit this one. And I think there's a little more to it than the picture will show.

The Yarn: Beaded Black Yarn from the Angora Cottage , one skein. I bought this at Stitches West because I wanted to try knitting with a pre-beaded yarn. This is a bit pricey but it makes a lovely fabrice.

Stitch Pattern: Linen Stitch:
R1: Sl 1 wyf, *P1, Sl 1 wyb*
R2: Sl 1 wyb, *k1, sl1 wyf*

Body of bag: Cast on 45 stitches. Knit linen stitch til length of bag is about 12". Bind off all stitches.

Trim on flap of bag: I used the 3 needle ribbon cord scallop from Knitting Over the Edge. You could leave plain if you wish.

I cord: Cast on 4 stitches and complete a 44 inch i cord (longer if you want a longer strap...but keep in mind this is a very stretchy yarn).

Finishing: Fold the bag so that the two sides are 4 1/2 inches and the flap is 3 inches. Sew seams. Then attach icord with knitting yarn using a 'barberpole' technique to make the edges look kind of lacey. Attach the icord starting at the center bottom of the bag.

I have probably 30 or so yards left over...so enough to make some type of necklace with the leftovers.

Any questions? Let me know!

Comments

ttbookjunkie said…
What a cute bag and thanks so much for sharing the pattern!

Amanda :)
Yvonne said…
Hi Kim - Thanks for stopping by my blog (aquarianhamster.blogspot.com). Your blog is wonderful. Looking back I, too, have too many WIPs. Three Fiddlesticks Knitting shawls at a time is too many. Fun, but too many.
Sheila E said…
I love that bag!! It is just Perfect for an evening out. Thanks for the pattern too! My daughter in Brooklyn will love it. How about lunch sometime...we could make a side trip to Ben's...what say? Hope your visit with your family is fun!!

Popular Posts