A Fair-ly Good Evening!


red ribbon bag
Originally uploaded by kbshee.
We headed over to the first night of the Lane County Fair to visit our submissions and see if we won anything. And of course to hit the curly fry booth and visit some chickens. The Fair. It's really something...and it is also sort of amazing we can visit the Scandinavian Festival (uf dah!), the Saturday Market (trippy, man) and the Lane County Fair (-insert screams from children on those scary, scary rides here-) over the period of 4 days. Very cool.

Anyway, the big room where they display the foods, arts, and textiles was emptier than usual, and we found that while some categories (dried foods and handspun yarns, for example) had many more entries than last year, other categories (hand knit socks and quilts, for example) had many fewer. This year the knitted things were all in a back corner covered in weird netting stuff, so it took me a while to find it. The first thing I found was my red felted bag, which won a red ribbon. First place went to one of those cute felted fiber trends sheep, which was more deserving.


yay tim
Originally uploaded by kbshee.
In the meantime, Tim found his pot on the artwork table, happily wearing a blue ribbon for the professional ceramics category. Congratulations honey! And although we don't have the photographic evidence, I'm happy to tell you that Tim also took home ribbons for his beef jerky, dried pineapple, and dried mushrooms. As I mentioned, the competition was much fiercer for these categories than in previous years. Congrats honey!


white ribbon blue sweater
Originally uploaded by kbshee.
My blue lace sweater won third place (no, it wasn't snowing at the fair...it is that silly net over it). They also folded the sweater nice than I could fold it, so I really appreciate that! THe competition for this sweater was two aran cardigans, which were nicer than mine, so I'm happy with the white ribbon You can almost see the cute little glass beads that are at the bottom of the picot edge in this picture. Key word: almost..


special award
Originally uploaded by kbshee.
The biggest surprise was that my 'rock and weaves' won a 'special award', which I believe means the 'best of the best' in the knitting category. This pattern was part of the Blue Moon Fiber Arts Rockin' Socks club, and the buttons were from Sheila and Michael Ernst . I get the very cool ribbon that you see here, and I think i also might get a prize (like a gift certificate) but I'm not sure and it really doesn't matter...I was very pleased to get this award!

It certainly made up for the huge long line at the curly fry booth, which impelled us to select another booth for our dinner. On the way out, though,we found a double secret curly fry booth that we'll hit the next time we're there.

Comments

kitkatknit said…
Congrats on your award winning socks!! We noticed this weekend at the fair in Hermiston OR that most of the fiber arts and crafts were covered in saran wrap this year. What's with that?
trek said…
Great night at the fair for Kim & Tim.
Alyssa said…
Congrats to both you and Tim! That's a lot of ribbon-winning talent:)
Anonymous said…
I think it's nice they're trying to protect the handknits from fingers of admirers--they might damage your work! Congrats! I never thought of entering a pair of socks to a competition.
aija said…
Very cool, congrats on the wins!! :)
Bonnie said…
Wowee! Congrats. While I am very excited about your wins for your socks and felted bag. I am most intrigued by the beef jerky. I love beef jerky!!!
emy said…
Congratulations on those wins! It must have been a great day!