22 hours of travel time...


IMG_0024.JPG
Originally uploaded by kbshee.
...and this is what I have to show for it.

I've spent the last three days (Friday-Saturday-Sunday) travelling to and from Burlington Vermont for an all-day Saturday meeting of an academic organization for which I serve as Vice President.

If you know anything about the US airport system, you can probably figure out that 1. Eugene is not a big airport; 2. Burlington is not a big airport and 3. getting from Eugene to Burlington is not fun.

Tim and I left the house at 8 am Eugene time (which is actually not bad, most flights leave between 5:30 and 6;30 am) and I arrived at the hotel in Burlington at 11:20 PM Eastern time.. So that's about twelve hours one way (via Portland and Chicago, with a massive Friday night delay at O'Hare). Had the meeting starting at 8:30 on Saturday, finished with dinner about 8:30 pm, and then I was up at 5:50 am Burlington time on Sunday to catch the 7:40 am flight home; Tim picked me up in Eugene at 2:15 Eugene time, so that was only about 10 hours travel time that day.

Ugh.

And so, yeah, I almost finished one sock (see post below for the Yarn Story). I spent much of the travel reading two books by Anthony Bourdain: Kitchen Confidential and The Nasty Bits. Both were recommended by Karin, someone we met in Alaska. Somehow, reading just was better for me than knitting was for this trip.

Wonderful Tim has been painting the kitchen since I left. I think his weekend might have been worse than mine.

AND new STR for the sock club came today. I'm feeling like a bit of a slacker since I haven't done the July sock yet. Such is life.

Comments

Lori said…
That's a long time traveling for one day in Vermont!

The sock looks great!
I've read Kitchen Confidential and the guys talk to each other exactly like that! I listen to it all night at the restaurant I work in.
Jodie said…
You know, if you ever need someone to knit up that STR....
kitkatknit said…
Ok this gives me an idea of how much sock knitting I can do trying to go from Pasco WA to Pittsburg next week. Yes you can't get there from here either.