Getting out the Votives


votives
Originally uploaded by kbshee.
Get it? It's a pun.

Anyway, I completed another Christmas gift: four votive candles with wire and bead knit coverings. This is an Annie Modesitt pattern from the beautiful book "Handknit Holidays", and are destined (I think) for my SIL Sue.

They look a bit better in person, the beads are greyish-purplish-pinkish-metallic and are really quite pretty, not the little dark polka dots that the picture shows. The wire is silver. As a group, these look pretty good.

But, if you're thnking about these:

1. wire is a pain in the butt to knit with. My fingers were pretty much raw by the time I finished these.

2. as I've said before, these walk a fine line between cool looking and seaside-giftshop-tacky. They look better as a group.

3. the book suggests 26 gauge wire (I think), but I'd go for a higher gauge, which will be easier to knit with. Not that easy is a word to describe wire.

Anyway, I'll get some silver votives and these should be a nice gift. If she doesn't like the bead stuff she can just take that off and have a nice set of votives.

We've been enjoying one of last nice weekends here in Oregon. We went on a hike to Spencer's Butte yesterday with several co workers of Tim's who were in town from NYC. The hike sort of exhausted me, which is a wake up call that I need to get into a little better shape. So I'm planning a few visits to the Rowing Machine to get me started.

Other than this, I'm almost done with the back of the Rogue and will hopefully get the sleeves on the needles so I'll have something to work on during the 16 hour car trip that's coming up.

I hope your weekend was good!

Comments

Carol said…
They look really nice. Lucky SIL! I don't think I'd have the guts to knit with wire just yet, maybe a tight fitting garden glove would help. I do have wire in the house though...