Me and Lace. Not so much.

I was hoping I'd be able to show you the start of a beaded lace shawl today, but alas, it is not meant to be.

I really like the Lattice Lace Wrap and got all excited about the beads and everything. I have some beautiful jaegerspun yarn and the beads, and I learned how to add the beads one by one using a teeny tiny crochet hook.

And so I started. And you know what? Seven rows into the lace pattern I"m all screwed up. I have too many stitches in one section and not enough in another (and no, it's not supposed to be this way). And believe me, this is not the first time it has happened. I just don't get the hang of yarn overs. And counting. And knitting three or four together.

And it's too bad. I want to do some of Nancy Bush's beautiful scarves, but alas, I just don't think it is meant to be.

I love, love, love me some cables. I think maybe I should just admit I'm not a lace girl and focus on being the Best Darn CAble Knitter that I can be. But this admitting defeat thing does not sit well with me, which makes me want to go back and try again, which means I'll just get even more screwed up (yes, I've been down that road before).

And I could make socks out of all that lace yarn in my stash, couldn't I?

Comments

Sachi said…
If you give me some time, I'll find you an elegant yet simple lace patter that doesn't make your head hurt. Drop me an email if you're interested. ;-) I totally feel your pain.

sachis 2112 at yahoo dot com
Stephanie said…
The first pattern I tried did that to me too. And it was supposedly a really simple pattern - but I must have learned something because I went on to knit a harder one just fine. So I say keep at for a bit - you may surprise yourself.
Carol said…
Welcome to my world! I agree with Stephanie. When you're ready to, it will just happen. There's also a good one (not free though) at
ma2ut dot blogspot dot com