Rogue and Rain


IMG_0087.JPG
Originally uploaded by kbshee.
Today is the first official day of winter in Oregon...it's raining. Hard. I spent some of the day on I-5 driving in some pretty serious downpours, so I can attest, winter is here.

I'm on sabbatical til April...that means that I have an extended period of time where I'm not expected to do any University business...no teaching, no faculty meetings, no committee work. I put in a proposal...to write a book...and that is what I've been doing since the new semester started. It's hard for me, though, to totally break off, and I've probably spent a day per week on University business (today it was visiting a very generous alumni donor) but I really have to stop that. I'm so protective over my 'space', though, it is a hard thing to do.

But anyway. Knitting Week! On Sunday I celebrated by sharing a technique (Judy's magic cast on) with an Internet knitting friend (Hi Carol!). Today I celebrated by finishing a vest and deciding to send it to Afghans for A fghans (they're looking for vests for Afghan winters).

Here's a picture of my just-started Rogue...it's a pullover knit in the round with these terrific cables on the sides. I'm loving, LOV.ING. the Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool that I"m working with (who knew? Lion Brand makes a fabulous yarn! Fisherman's Wool! Lanolin included!!).
I haven't knit in a worsted wool for a while...I've been doing a lot of stuff wtih cotton, and with fingering/sock yarn, so I haven't knit anything with this type of wool for a while...and come to think of it (breathe, Kim, breathe) the last wool I used was elann peruvian wool which, while nice, isn't as nice as Fisherman's wool. Must be the Lanolin!

Anyway...i'im babbling. How are YOU celebrating?

Comments

Alyssa said…
Ooooh, Rogue! And writing a book! Wow!
I forgot it's knitting week. I'll be sure to knit even more:)
Oh, and the Emperor's Children book you recommended? I had written it down on my list of books to read a couple days ago. Great minds:)
Carol said…
Congrats! I hope the book writing goes well! Isn't it great the Lion makes Fusherman's Wool? I just purchased The Great American Aran Afghan pattern book, & Lion will actually make it affordable. I love the cables going on there! A nice donation indeed! I'm working on hats for Rabbitch's cause & they're a small enough project even for me! Although 3 family members want a hat too (for FL, are they silly?) I have to make another hat to replace the one I made with fig 8 CO, so next time it will be the Magic CO! Happy writing & knitting!
Blogless Kim said…
Oh, congratulations on your sabbatical! My husband is on sabbatical for this school year and it has been wonderful. Rogue looks just great!

Popular Posts