Bit of a Funk

I've been a bit blue these past few days....mostly the "what is the purpose of my life" type of funk and wondering what I'm going to do with the rest of my life. The more I'm away from the University the more I question my role and purpose there. I don't think I"m really that interested in advertising (my field) any more...I certainly can't get passionate and 'worked up' about a lot of stuff in the advertising industry. Maybe it just has become sort of frivolous and empty to me. On the other hand, I'm frustrated that I'm approaching the big 5-0 (in a couple of years...ok, a year and a half) and feel like I should be more together in terms of what I'm doing, career wise. I worked in advertising for twelve years and have been teaching or working on graduate degrees for 14 years, so this is pretty much all I'm qualified to do right now.

Except of course, be a lace knitting teacher (ha HA!).

That's about all I think I need to say about it, as there isn't really a short term solution to this, and long term solutions just make me sort of tired to think about.

Knitting continues...the hood is going pretty well...I think I'm row 31 of 85 rows and I'm hoping the upcoming rainy weekend/football games will get me further.

The new IK came yesterday...nothing really floating my knitting boat in that one. There's a sweater called "Cabernet Ribs" that I think I'll make, but nothing else has grabbed me and screamed "Knit Me!" Doesn't that model look thrilled to be wearing her Cabernet Ribs? That's how I want to feel!

And did you hear? The new colors of Cotton Ease showed up! You know I love me the Cotton Ease. Looky: here and click the link to show the colors. Nice, huh? And what about that spiffy new Lion Brand label! Welcome to the 1980s Lion Brand!

Anyway...pictures of hoods and socks and things over the weekend. Stay dry those of you in the PacNW.

Comments

cshogan said…
Oooh. I do like the shade of red in the Cabernet Ribs. I hope the hair on the model is not contagious, though.
Lori said…
Cabernet Ribs looks good. Lion Brand is re-releasing cotton-ease? I didn't know. I can't wait to see your Rogue!
Donna said…
I always feel down in the dumps when the days start to get shorter and the time change messes me up too. Now that it's dark at 5:30 I feel like I could hibernate with the bears. I'll be 50 in less than 2 years, and I'm no where near as together as I thought I would be by now. You have it right, what we need is more knitting!
Sachi said…
I'm getting rained on too.

I could give you that whole "50 is the new 30" thing but that's too trite, even for me.

In reality, you are just like so many others out there... Disillusioned with your career, looking back on life and counting your major accomplishments, but most profoundly, looking for something to thrill you again. I'm currently on the job hunt and a head-hunter told me that all of her clients are like me; looking for something about which they can be passionate again.

Whether or not it would make you feel better to know that you're not alone, I'm telling you that you're not alone. It's OK to start life over again at 48. It's almost expected these days. My DH is 51 and we're planning children over the next 3 years. If he's up to changing diapers at 50-something, I dare say it would be just fine for you to find a new career. ;-)
Alyssa said…
I totally understand what you are going through. Fall is always the season of deep thought:) I have a bachelor's (Psychology) and a law degree, both of which I don't use. Until 5 years ago I was a student my whole life. I really don't what I want to do with myself. I know I love to read and knit (don't we all!), but I haven't really been passionate about anything in a long time (except my husband and knitting - hehe).

I will tell you this - 48 is not too late to pick a new path. For now, why don't you break out that new Socks that Rock:)
Bonnie said…
You are not alone but I am sure the impending milestone birthday (even if it is is 18 months away) probably doesn't help.

I think it is so easy to feel beholden to the "now" because we can ourselves believe that we have no other choices.

You are a smart, talented, funny cookie with lots going for her. I am sure you will discover what you want for yourself. I also suspect that you will figure out a way to get it.

In the meantime feel free to blog about it. There is so much support out here.
Carol said…
I missed this post! I'm falling behind. 1st of all, I assumed you were younger-I think everyone's younger than me;) We're just about the same age though! Do you think this is a "I've worked so long already-been there, done that" sort of thing? I find myself not quite as "eager" as I used to be. Maybe time for a change altogether that uses your skills & knowledge, but in a different field. At least you've got knitting to help "think" through things, and you're great at it!