Let us All Praise Nancie Wiseman...


marble arch
Originally uploaded by kbshee.
..because she finally wrote some mattress stitch instructions that I understand. And hence, the Rogue is finished, blocked, and in the process of drying. This is the first sweater that I've finished with seams (others have all been seamless) that I feel that I can wear with pride. It's not perfect, not by a long shot, but it is the best that I have done. Ever. Picture soon when dry.

I've been a bit gauge challenged. Whenever sock patterns instruct that you should cast on 60+ stitches, I always know I'm in trouble. Now. I don't have small feel (size 9, mediums) but I must be the loosest knitter in the world since 60 stitches of anything would swim on me.

The Marble Arches are even more of a challenge because you start with double the stitches cast on to make a little ruffly top. I guess I didn't have to do this (hello, hindsight) but I ended up casting on five times til I found the mix that would work for me. 44 stitches. and it's a little snug, but I'm not doing it again.

I'm also a little gauge challenged with the Vogue sweater I described in the last post. The cotton ease is different enough that I can't get the exact gauge in the pattern. But. If I follow directions for the small, the difference in the size of the yarn will produce a sweater that will fit me (a medium/large). Now. i know some knitters will insist, INSIST, that you cannot do this, that the whole drape/fit/swing/karma of the sweater will be OFF! But I'm going for it anyway. Hey. It's only cotton ease. But I like it.

In other news: yesterday I picked up my new glasses with progressive lenses. They're a bit, um, odd. You have to re-train the way you look at things. I'm going to get progressive contacts when they're available so this is a good start to figure out what is going on. It is nice to be able to read the computer screen now though!

Comments

Carol said…
Nice! Can't wait to see it! I'll have to check Nancie, thanks. Welcome to progreesive! I'm on my 3rd pair. It becomes second nature.

Popular Posts