Fair isle Saga


fair isle without clothespin
Originally uploaded by kbshee.
Just to catch you up:

I knit the fair isle sleeve sweater from the most recent Vogue Knitting. I used a yarn that didn't give me the appropriate gauge but I figured out if I knit the sweater according to the directions for a small it would give me the fit for a large.

And I blocked it. And I wove in ends. And the cat peed on it. And I washed it and put it in the dryer for a bit to sort of shrink it up.

So. The cat pee smell is gone thank heavens. But as you can see, the fit is still off. There is no assymetrical neckline. It's very droopy in the front and in the back. but the body fits pretty well (that is, bustline on down.

Don't I look like a mannequin?


fair isle with clothespin
Originally uploaded by kbshee.
So. Here's what happens if I take in a bunch from the back to give it a bit more shape. The back is being held together with a clothespin, hence the title of the post. Look at my happy face! And do you like my new rockin' specs?


back with clothespin
Originally uploaded by kbshee.
Forgive the artsy fartsy photo, but here is the back with the clothespin holding a bunch of excess knitting to make the thing fit. Do you think I should take in the neckline a bit in the back? It might make it look a bit smocky but sort of like a poets shirt (making lemonade here, I know). Anyone have any other thoughts on how to make this fit better?

Comments

Anonymous said…
No ideas about fixing the sweater, but I did want to let you know I love the new glasses! :)
Jodie said…
I'm not sure about fixing it. Is the cotton to heavy for it? Like the new glasses. Oh, and I'm done with school, so whenever you want to get coffee...
Bonnie said…
No thoughts on how to fix it.....sorry. But I am blowed over by your ability to take pics front and back!
Ling said…
Hmmm. A tricky situation. I would try reknitting the back with a lot of decreases, but would it make the shape a bit odd? Would that affect ho the neckline might look? Sorry, I'm supposed to answer your questions and not raise any more!!

Love the colours of your sweater and the new glasses!
Carol said…
Just try to mimic what the clothespin did for the back. Maybe a V cut with steeks, then seam together, but there would be the line where you did it. I like the arsty farsty photo! Cool...