Real Knitting Content!


cabernet ribs
Originally uploaded by kbshee.
Here is the almost-done Cabernet Ribs sweater, done in crystal palace mohair/wool laceweight and black wool/alpaca yarn from Webs . The body is done with both yarns held together and the sleeves and insert done wtih just the cp. It all seamed up pretty well, but I haven't finished the sleeve seams yet. I fear the sleeves are a wee bit narrow and am trying to find a seaming technique that maybe adds a bit to the size of the sleeve as opposed to taking up a bit. Maybe a crochet seam? I'm probably just being a bit paranoid...I actually think it will fit ok, just closely, but if you have any suggestions let me know.


This is one of the first things that really seems to fit (fear of tight sleeves aside)...it's the right length, it isn't too oversized, and even though it's not the best look for ANYONE with a decent size chest I still like it. I'll wear it for things that are a bit 'dressier', mostly because I'm scared to death of destroying the sleeves, knit in such a lacey yarn.


one monkey
Originally uploaded by kbshee.
AND I finished one Monkey sock last night...I haven't worked on this for a while as I was trapped in a Sleeve Vortex but now that those sleeves are done I happily returned to the monkey. You may have to click on the picture to see the pattern a bit more clearly.


Monkey is a good pattern (available at the Knitty.com web site). I didn't follow it exactly, doing my own familiar heel flap and turn combo, which works for me. I've realized that this year one of the things I thought I'd never be able to do: pick up stitches on a heel flap...is now second nature to me. That's one of my big knitting achievements this year. Add to that finally getting what mattress stitch is, and also getting the whole sewing in seams thing, and I think I've had a good knitting year. You know...you just need to do stuff enough so you the feel for what it needs to look like. I know that sounds like I'm stating the obvious, but it's true...I think sometimes I need to just stop overanalyzing instructions and just LOOK at my knitting and figure out what needs to be done. And it's the understanding of just what a knit stitch is that makes this skill possible. And that just takes lots and lots of knitting.



Maybe I'm just trying to rationale all the crap knitting in my closet, but maybe not.



Knitting Resolutions tomorrow!

Comments

Carol said…
Gorgeous! Now that's an accomplishment in itself! Nice Monkey sock too! You've had a great knitting year. To you and yous a Happy New Year! Here's wishing you health, happiness, prosperity and lots of knitting goodness!
Carol said…
Hi Kim! The yarn came from rhymeswithfuscia@blogspot She wrote a funny/sad post about it on Nov 30. It's a worsted weight-560 yds! And it's so soft! I feel very lucky to have it.