Little Aran Sweaters for my Feet


IMG_0374.JPG
Originally uploaded by kbshee.
This picture doesn't do them justice (How many times have I said that?) but here are the finished Aran socks. I created the pattern myself, and they're knit in dark grey regia. So there you go, resolution met!

I love these socks. Click on the pic...it will be bigger and my love for these socks will make more sense. The leg is seed stitch (or moss stitch, I didn't think there was a difference but Jodie says on one you k1p1 and on the other you k2p2. Regardless, knit the purls and purl the knits on the next row, continue til you're done). There is a cable that goes down the side of the leg, and then I sort of jerryrigged the heel so the cable continues down the side of the foot. Basically, I knit the sock on two needles: twenty stitches of seed stitch and eight stitches of cable per needle. When it came time to do the heel, just a regular flap heel, I moved eight cable stitches over to the other needle and did the heel based on twenty stitches. After I picked up stitches, I decreased the 'top' of the sock in the seed stitch area til I had twelve seed stitches and two eight sttich cables (28 stitches) and then did decreases on the other needle with the heel til I got down to 28 stitches on that needle too.

And now it shoudl be abundantly clear that I can never write patterns.

I have another plain sock pattern in my head and on graph paper, so I'm excited about starting a new project!


Comments

Kim said…
I think the difference between seed and moss is moss is 2 rows of the same (k1p1 on the right side, p1k1 on the wrong side, even number of stitches) followed by 2 rows of the opposite, instead of one row of k1p1 and then k1p1 on the wrong side.

If + is k on RS, p on WS, and - is p on RS, k on WS:

+-
+-
-+
-+
Stephanie said…
Those look soooo warm!!

Can you tell my feet are cold? ;)
kitkatknit said…
Aran socks are beautiful! I think your description of moving the stitches around on the needles is perfectly clear. And probably why I should never write patterns either. It would drive my scientist hubby mad to read what you did, but for me with the fine arts degree it make perfect sense!