Old Socks New Socks


Magic Stripes for Tim
Originally uploaded by kbshee
Striped Socks Blue Socks

Anyway, as I mentioned the all-day meeting on Tuesday allowed me to finish the leg and turn the heel of Sock #2, and so I finished it off this week. The big benefit to me is that now I can try a sock from Cat Bordhi's book, New Pathways for Sock Knitting (or Sock Knitters, or something else).

I learned how to knit socks on two circs from Cat's book (Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles). The first time I knit a sock from her instructions, the words just didn't make any sense to me, but several people told me to do EXACTLY WHAT SHE SAYS and to not try to figure out what exactly you're doing and why...and that eventually it will all make sense. And yes, yes it eventually did. Now, I can make a sock on two circs from the top down with my eyes closed, so that blind faith in the instructions does work.

So I need even MORe blind faith with this book, as she offeres a bunch of heels, a bunch of toes, and a bunch of beautiful socks to try. You're supposed to start with baby socks to get the idea but of course I say Pshaw to that. I'm starting with the Spiraling Coriolis pattern, using a toe up toe that looks like a star.

What I love is that her socks are made with handpainted that in all honestly, many patterns just don't do justice to. As a result, I end up making a lot of plain vanilla socks with handpaint (witness the magic stripes sock) that are fine for long car rides but not that interesting to do on a regular basis. So I'm excited that Cat's book will open some new possibilities...or pathways...for all that yarn in my stash.

So stay tuned! I cast on with some STR in the 'dreidel' colorway that I've had in the stash and wound into a cake for a long time.

Comments

Popular Posts