And it all just slowly falls apart

I'm having an 'I'm old" moment. Or maybe an "I'm old" week.

Last week, my tooth broke. Says the Dentist: "that's what happens when you get old". Saturday I wore my contact lens for a few hours too long, and woke up on Sunday with a painful and watery eye. Says the eye doctor: "as we age, we lose moisuture in our eyes, and can't tolerate our contacts as long." And in the past few days, my old dislocated shoulder injury has reminded me that putting on my bathrobe can be a very paintful experience. Old old old.

I know I'm complaining, when in fact I have nothing at all to complain about. I'm relatively healthy and relatively happy and have a relatively small number of grey hairs. People are still surprised when they find out I"m as old as I am. Heck, I don't feel nearly as old as I am. It is just those little reminders, sadly increasing in frequency, that become disheartening.

At least I can knit!

Comments

technikat said…
I know just what you mean. Tomorrow I'm heading to the dentist to fix my third broken tooth this year. I'm typing this as I sit with a heating pad on my back. Bah! But I did bicycle 2000 miles this year.
Carol said…
OMG, I think we have the same doctor! Personally, I'm 12...
Jeanne said…
I hate when doctors say that - and I've heard it at least three times this year!
kitkatknit said…
Like they say, this getting old crap ain't for sissies.
Sheila E said…
I'm of the ilk..."How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?"....maybe 30...for me at least. It's just like a car, we all need good mechanics checking out our bellys!
Hang in there Lady, you are truly beautiful!!
......
Me, who just had a tooth extraction yesterday....boo hoo!!!!
Wryly said…
My "I'm old" moments:
- a co-worker didn't get the joke when someone whistled the theme to "Green Acres"
- I had a tooth break. The second one this year! Someone told me my teeth must be made of chalk. oy!

But I think the good thing is that I don't "feel" my age - - and I certainly don't act it. Guitar Hero 3 anyone?

~ Wryly

(Found your blog thru the Harlot's comments)