Chilling Out


IMG_1353.JPG
Originally uploaded by kbshee
We're expecting some unusually cold weather here in the Pac NW, which has us hunkering down in ways that make the former Bostonian in me just shake her head. "Unusually cold" means that we're supposed to have lows in the teens, and on Monday and Tuesday it is expected that the high will not get above freezing.

Yes, I know this is not cold. When I lived in Boston, I would decide whether to run or not depending on whether it was above 15. Now with this forecast of cold weather we covered the spigots, blocked off the vents under the house, and discussed options for opening cabinets to keep pipes from freezing.

OK. We're wimps.

But on to better things. Yesterday I was enjoying our fire and started thinking how beautiful those colors would be in a sock yarn. I've done some looking and can't find anything that is primarily this blue color with shots of red-orange, yellow and gold. Let me know if you have any thoughts on what yarn might reflect these colors. I thought the colors would make beautiful socks.

And there is knitting happening here. I have fingers to do on my second glove, a toe to finish on a pair of socks that you haven't even seen yet, and I've been working on the cable sweater too. I also cast on for a 'wing it' summer top (ie I have some silly design in my head and will try to knit it) but the weather, of course, suggests that isn't the best option for knitting right now. I also won some Noro Silk Garden in a blog contest that I want to use for a hat for Tim. His studio is in the (unheated, un-anythinged) garage, and it is cold out there.

Hope you're staying warm!

Comments

Carol said…
You are not wimps! Would I judge on cold weather prep? It's in the 50s here and we're all shivering! Except during the barbecue next door a little earlier ;-) I mean really, where's a hot flash when ya need one?! I'm dying to see what you're up to! Lemma know if you want so dyer's names, I'll check around to find who does custom orders.
I think I saw some yarn with those colors on the Jimmy Bean Knits website... where I bought sock yarn and needles for knitting the socks!
Jodie said…
Hmmm.... Maybe an idea for a new colorway. Of course, I won't be doing any dying too soon. The next several weeks are going to be a little crazy.

I was looking at Flagstaff's weather the other day and it was 3 degrees. I have to say, I'm more of a wimp now than I used to be, but I like being a wimp.
Sheila E said…
Hey...it's frickin' COLD....call me a wimp too...just keep the fire going!
I do love the colors that fire dreams up! Nature is the best artist that I know...and that's saying something!

Popular Posts