I is for isle


i is for isle
Originally uploaded by kbshee
As in Fair Isle.

As I mentioned, I thought I'd try a not-too-difficult fair isle project and started on a pair of mittens from the Alice Starmore Fair Isle book. As you can see, I've done the cuff and about the first ten rows of the hand and already it just looks bizarre with the cuff being all poofy. Hopefully this will change as the mitten progresses, but I honestly am seeing this as a noble experiment to see if fair isle and I will really stay friends.

My guess: not so much.

Comments

Irie said…
Your first fair isle project? Good for you! It does take some getting used to, in order to get a consistent gauge. I still haven't mastered the art of consistency but it seems to be very forgiving, all the wrinkles getting ironed out after blocking.

Just curious, what method are you using to manage the two strands?
Kim in Oregon said…
I've been trying the 'one color in each hand' method but my left hand doesn't want to do what it is supposed to do. I can't get enough tautness on the yarn.

I occasionally lapse into just dropping and picking up with the right hand, which doesn't suggest that I'll be setting any speed records for fair isle.
Bonnie said…
Hang in there. I did a small fair isle project forever ago. But I (being the genius that I am) decided my first crack at it would be with Cascade Fixation. Talk about gauge issues!
Carol said…
You're tormenting me! All that yarn and a Starmore book too? Le sigh...

Popular Posts