What's that light?


IMG_1690.JPG
Originally uploaded by kbshee
You know, that light way down there, at the end of that tunnel?

I love Memorial Day weekend. It is really the official 'start' of the 'end' of our school year. I know I should pay a bit more attention to what the holiday means...supporting and honoring those who have served our country. But by this time of the year, my colleagues and I are so worn out that all we can see if the mid-June finish line.

This happens for a couple of reasons. The quarter system means we have two ten-week terms with a minimal of prep time in between, and it is really a 20=week educational fun fest where sustaining teaching energy is hard. On top of that, the school tries to get so much done during the last month...basically, the work of an entire school year (searches, reviews, curriculum revision, planning for NEXt year) gets done in a four week period. On top of that, our graduating seniors are now officially, as a group, freaked out that they don't have jobs. And on top of that, it is this time of the year when other students realize that they haven't done any work this term and are likely to fail, and want to know what they can do to make up the points.

So all these things come together now. Is it any wonder that stockinette stitch is all I can handle? I finished the tank...love it, love the Ty Dy, love that I only had to kitchener the back center and mattress the shoulders to put it all together. Thanks Amie!


IMG_1694.JPG
Originally uploaded by kbshee
Given that I can see the end of the tunnel, though, I've been thinking about summer knitting. There are a couple things that I'm considering:

1. The Summer of String bags, as I've mentioned on a previous post. This is the first one...Jodie's Saturday Market bag in cotton fleece. I'm about halfway done after about 2-3 hours of knitting. I modified Jodie's pattern by knitting it in the round with a small bottom. Fun knit. Fast knit. What else could you ask for? I've got a lot of cotton fleece in the stash, as well as some hemp and some Louet Euroflax.

2. Something cabled from A Fine Fleece. Beautiful book. I have yarn from the Irish Ewe for the first one and some paton's classic for the second one. I'm pretty yarned up, lucky for me.

3. The black and white sweater from Knitting Classic Style, which I'll make with Navy blue and white. Rowan botany is in the stash for this.

4. The EZ top down fair isle. More rowan botany in stash for this.

Comments

Sheila E said…
Amazing that you can take time to do anything...besides deal with the end of the term..BUT it's almost over..& I can feel your relief.
Sounds like you are going to have a busy Summer (I use that word loosely!) knitting!
Looking forward, hopefully, to seeing you at Black Sheep!
Breathe!
Beverly said…
Wow! You're super busy. I know that you're glad you'll have some break time.

The top looks great and makes a nice quick knit. I like the striping.