I did some measuring and realized I didn't have to do the 470 or whatever stitch cast on...I could reduce that number by 48. So I cast on 422 or something like that. There are 15 repeats of 26 stitches (two different charts, one 14 stitches and one 12 stiches), plus two ten stitch patterns on either end and one additional 14 stitch hunk to balance out the 26 stitch thing.
So, after six hours of work, I finished five rows. Yee!
Luckily, the whole peplum is only about 54 rows, so I'm about 1/9 finished (i did the cast on and two rows on Saturday). The pattern isn't hard, it is just long. The wrong sides are just knit the knits and purl the purls, and in every other RS row there is only one or two cables in the 26 stitch hunks (on some RS rows, though, there are four crosses...yee...and I'm definitely cabling without a cable needle, using my own patented 'pinch and pray' method).
We just love it. It does capture Cody and even me in my younger, bang-ed days. I'll treasure it forever.