Revisionist History


IMG_2436.JPG
Originally uploaded by kbshee
I went to college (undergrad) at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois. For the first 25 years after I graduated, I told almost no one this fact, mostly because my Northwestern experience was not that great. It's not that it was horrible: I learned a lot, I met some great people, and I discovered a lot of interesting things about myself. But I didn't make any of those 'rest of your life' friendships, I didn't fit into my first major well, nor did I fit into a very heavily-Greek social system, and it was very, very cold there all the time. Anyway, I'm sure my college experience wasn't that unusual, and I don't regret going there, I just don't really celebrate it.

Until recently. I don't know if it is my recent infaturation with the color purple (Northwestern's colors are purple and white, and my favorite line from the alma mater is "Hail to Purple, Hail to White, Hail to Thee Northwestern".) or a conversation with a student development phone caller who was just so nice and happy and interested in what I've been doing since graduation (seriously), but I've had better thoughts about Northwestern lately. I've found myself mentioning that I went there more often that I used to (I used to just say I lived in Chicago, or went to school in Chicago). I read the alum emails. And I bought two skeins of Lorna's Laces "Team Spirit" sock yarn in, you guessed it, purple and white.

I have to admit this purple isn't real Northwestern purple (it should be a lot deeper) but even the fact that I recognize it isn't true Northwestern purple is something.

I'm even thinking about getting a sweatershirt. Hail to Purple! Hail to White!

Comments

Alyssa said…
I'm not sure if I ever knew you went to NU. My husband had a good grad school experience there (and I enjoyed working there), but I've heard undergrad can be rough. Very greek or geek.

Are you going to be in Portland again next week? Maybe we can get together to knit?
KSD said…
Hail to purple, indeed! It may be a Kim thing --- that's my favorite color.