Bad Blogger


IMG_2463.JPG
Originally uploaded by kbshee
I know I was a bit content-lite last week, and I apologize. I had a week that wasn't completely eaten up with meetings, and so I accomplished a lot! (This is as opposed to being busy, a phase where I tend not to accomplish anything). Unfortunately, nothing as lovely as knitting accomplishments, just finished a conference paper, wrote two grant proposals, reviewed two articles, and various other academic effluvia that must. be. done.

But I did finish the even mini mochi socks. And yes, they are the same size, even though the one on the right looks a little shorter than the one on the left. As I mentioned, I went out of my way to make these completely different and I succeeded, with a little help from the yarn. The second ball had no knots (yay) but was incredibly splitty. At one point, the lack of twist made the yarn fall apart in my hands as I was knitting it. Luckily it spit splices very nicely. I have numerous holes in the sock from the splittyness. Let's just say that no more mini mochi for moi. YMMV
I do have to say these are incredibly soft socks and the colors are so deep and jewel like that it almost makes up for the poor quality of the yarn. Almost. I hate to badmouth a yarn and from what I've read on Ravelry, Crystal Palace has asked the mill to add twist and, when they knot, to make the knots in the same color pattern. So that might improve the yarn, and I never say never, so I may try the yarn again in six months or so (the blue/green colorway is really lovely).


IMG_2464.JPG
Originally uploaded by kbshee
And I'm about halfway done with the peplum for the "Silver Belles" jacket. I've done two or three reductions of stitches but there are still plenty on the needle. I love that now it looks like a Christmas tree skirt. There's an aran tree skirt in one of the books of Christmas knitting (Handmade Holidays maybe?) that I've always wanted to do, and now I think I can do any old aran pattern that strikes my fancy. Some day.

Anyway, I'm still enjoying this project although it takes forever to get through a row. There is basically a four-row repeat, where 1/4 are complex cables and the rest are either knit'em as you see 'em or a less complex cable. So it really is just the mere number of stitches that takes time for this project.The yarn, in case you forgot, is Berroco Alpaca something (Alpaca Soft? not the lite one). A beautiful, WELL MADE yarn that is a pleasure to knit with.


IMG_2469.JPG
Originally uploaded by kbshee
And now my own personal March Madness: trying some new indie dyers. In these tough economic times, it is important (imho) to support independent sellers of beautiful things, so my spring pledge is to buy ONLY indie yarn. Maybe another way to say this is that I've given up Big Corporate Yarn purchases for lent. Anyway, I'm also planning an end-of-month destash but I've let myself purchase some fun new things in the meantime.

Clockwise, starting in upper right:
-Three Irish Girls "O'Meara" colorway. Purples, blues and golds, very pretty. This will become my next "mindless' sock. Jen at Woolgirl carries this yarn.
-Twilight Knits "Tudor" yarn: light blues and purples that is just lovely. She had a store on etsy.
-Enchanted Knoll Farms "Black Magic Woman". Very saturated colors, just lovely. I bought a few more skeins from them too. Enchanted knoll has an etsy shop and you can also buy from Sheri at the Loopy Ewe .
- Family Pendragon yarn "Medee". More saturated beauticiousness. No that's not a word. Also available from Jen at Woolgirl.

Comments

KSD said…
So sorry about your troubles with the sock yarn. And it had such promise. . .

Thankfully, there are always more projects and more skeins to erase the unpleasant memories.
drlaura said…
Mini-mochi- and other modern yarns.
for what it's worth, when Shannon Okey asked me to be in "Just Socks" and i was assigned yarn, i got a Lion Brand yarn that split badly. So i stopped and made a couple swatches, and for ME anyway, the splittiness was a matter of adaptation to the yarn and learning to pay attention.
once i did that, and in my case used sharper needles, i had no splitting issues at all.
same with mini-mochi. a small gauge swatch to get the hang of it and you'll find no splits. of course that means at first no mindless knitting...

anyway, just one knitter's experience!
blessings.
:L,
Bonnie said…
Ooooh a destash. I need to do one of those but have been contemplating a contest idea. Of course, for that be of ANY interest I'll need to get back to blogging regularly again.

I love the socks and it sounds like the they were worth the effort. Splitiness and all!
Bonnie said…
Ooooh a destash. I need to do one of those but have been contemplating a contest idea. Of course, for that be of ANY interest I'll need to get back to blogging regularly again.

I love the socks and it sounds like the they were worth the effort. Splitiness and all!

Popular Posts