Spring Break: Day 2


IMG_3093.JPG
Originally uploaded by kbshee
The beautiful sunny weather of yesterday turned into a pretty typical Oregon spring day today: mainly rain and clouds and a bit cooler but still pretty warm out for here.

I've been working on this project since Christmas, but haven't spoken of it on the blog? Why, you ask? Mostly because it is just a big old boring block of stockinette on small needles (size 3). For Christmas, I received the book "Swedish Knits" by Paula Hammerskog and Evan wincent, and started on the "Sweater from Bohusland" which is a plain sweater with a bohus pattern around the yoke. One knits the front, back, sleeves and then joins it all to do the bohus yoke.

You note that I toss around the word bohus like a. I was an expert in colorwork and b. I noticed it was bohus before I started. Well, I'm not and I didn't I just figured it was fair isle, which I've done oh, once or twice. But I thought it would be a good project to try...I certainly can physically do the fair isle work, although I'm not speedy and it may not look picture perfect. But again, I thought, i have the yarn (Rowan Botany, bought in dribs and drabs over the last six months since it is discontinued), I have the size 3 needles (yes, it is considered a legal form of insanity to knit a sweater on size 3 needles) and I have the will!

So then yesterday, as I was starting the first sleeve (and there's a little pattern design on the sleeve, which I'll show you later this week) I realized it wasn't fair isle, it was bohus. The difference, as far as I can tell: in a fair isle row, there are only two colors that alternate in a pretty little pattern. Good knitters (not me) can knit with one color in the right hand and the other in the left.

Bohus, on the other hand, has unlimited (ack!) colors per row). So far, I've worked on a three-color row and spying ahead, there's a four color row as well (there are only four colors in the pattern, so big sigh of relief there). Now, I can sort of do the fair isle one-color-per-hand technique, but I'm at a bit of a loss with where to find the third and fourth hands to do bohus.

Ideas? Suggestions? I'm just stumbling along trying to figure it out...results soon.

Comments

technikat said…
I've not tried it but with multiple colors, I imagine you just drop the yarn you're not using and pick up the one you need. Be sure to spread the knitted stitches out a bit every so often so that the carried yarn is not pulling the knitting too tight.

Good luck! I'm looking forward to seeing your sweater.
Linda said…
I'm impressed by your will. Such a project is far beyond me.
handeyecrafts said…
Why am I hearing the "One knits the front. . ." part in Julia Child's voice.

Go on, ETwin. You can do it.

Popular Posts