The Yarn Wall


IMG_3253.JPG
Originally uploaded by kbshee
Who doesn't struggle with storing the stash? In the many years that I've been knitting, the stash has grown from a drawer under the bed to giant baskets in the closet to several plastic bins. Last summer, I organized the sock yarn in a file cabinet. Yet it continued to grow and frankly, the stash was out of hand.

Enter the Yarn Wall.

Tim has been experimenting with the right way to build the yarn wall for a while. The last time we talked about it, it looked like it was going to be a combination of PVC pipe and wood joins that seemed a bit complex. Then he found these cubicle thingees on sale at Target a few weeks ago, and we bought three 3 x 3 units. Tim put them together pretty quickly and now a good portion of the stash is stored there. The yarn wall has numerous benefits:

1. I can easily see what color and how much yarn I have, and this has made me not want to buy any more yarn for a long, long time.
2. I can easily compare colors and textures and decide which yarns I really want to keep and which I can sell (which I'm doing right now on Ravelry)
3. It helps me figure out future projects.
4. If you're staying over in our guest room, it is just like living in a yarn shop.

Seriously. There is no better way to stop buying yarn that to have a yarn wall. Trust me on this.

It still has a way to go, both in terms of organizing the storage and figuring out what I want to sell, but so far the Yarn Wall is a hit with everyone. The cats aren't quite sure what to make of it, which is a good thing.

Comments

handeyecrafts said…
Evil Twin Marries Perfect Man!
Beverly said…
The yarn wall looks great. Mine has been organized for a few years and it still hasn't stopped me from adding to it.
Rachel said…
Last fall I did an inventory of my stash and came away with the same appalled feeling...there was NO need to buy yarn for a very long time. To add insult to injury I actually did calculations to see how long it would take me to knit it all...how very disturbing!

Your yarn wall is very cool...it IS like having a yarn store in your home!
zippiknits said…
This is what I want,too. I'm so jealous! ;o) It's beautiful, congrats!