Atom!


IMG_3388.JPG
Originally uploaded by kbshee
One of my readers made a good point regarding my rant...paper patterns cut down on any potential copyright infringement. I hadn't thought of that, and it is a fair argument. However, so many companies are doing PDFs now, that I think many knitters just expect it. It may not be right, but it is the way it is. And now, onto fiber stuff.

I started carding Atom's fleece this afternoon...I was a bit apprehensive starting because it is white fleece, and I was worried that it would be a bit dirty and have a lot of vm (vegetable matter) in it. So what a surprise it was to learn that Atom is quite a well behaved young man..the fleece was almost pristine. The locks are long and needed just a bit of opening up at the tip before they went into the carder.


IMG_3394.JPG
Originally uploaded by kbshee
I didn't card that much, and what I did card I rolled up into little mini-batts. Alpaca is wonderfully soft but not nearly as elastic as sheep wool, so alpaca yarn can end up stretching out a bit. I was reading the great book "Color In Spinning" by Deb Menz and she recommends adding some wool in to add shpringiness and keep the softness, so I'll try it. I have ordered some white wool locks from two different types of sheep, so we'll see what happens...and so these little batts will get one more carding!

Comments