Mad DK Skillz


IMG_3543.JPG
Originally uploaded by kbshee
One thing I like to do during the holiday break is to try a new knitting technique. I taught myself to knit a sock one holiday, to do entrelac another holiday...I think I skipped last holiday but I started the tradition again with teaching myself double knitting.

With double knitting, one basically knits a two-sided piece of fabric...so for example, a scarf with the 'smooth' side of stockinette showing on both sides. One way to do this would be to knit two stockinette scarves and then sew them together. But I did it with double knitting.

Basically, you cast on with a two colors, alternating them (on this scarf, it is purple and pink). Then it is knit with color A, purl with color B across one row, and then knit with color B and then purl with color A back. After a few rows, the stitches arrange themselves so you can see that one side is purple and the other side is pink.



IMG_3544.JPG
Originally uploaded by kbshee
And the cool thing is that you do colorwork by changing up some of the stitches as you go along...where the purple bubble is seen is where I knit some of the pink knit stitches with purple, creating a pattern just like intarsia but it is reversible!

I didn't do a good job of explaining it, and in fact it is all kind of magical. I'm using Lucy Neatby's bubble scarf pattern ( here and apparently I forgot to do the ribbing at the start, oh well) and she explains the process very well.

Yarns: kauni effectgarn for one side, rowan calmer for the pink other side.

This one should be fun to watch. Stay tuned.

Comments