And now for something completely different

IMG_3718.JPG by kbshee
IMG_3718.JPG, a photo by kbshee on Flickr.

I've been dreaming about illusion necklaces for a while...you know, those chokers with a minimum of bling that seem to float around your neck.

And guess what, dear readers? There's this tool called GOOGLE and if you GOOGLE "how to make an illusion necklace" you can find out how to make them! The other option is buying one of the 10,000 offered on Etsy but what fun is that?

So off I trundle to the local Ben Franklin store, my favorite knitting store in town, knowing they have a good bead department. Well. Beading is even more complex from a materials acquisition standpoint than knitting. With knitting, you get your yarn, your needles, your pattern, voila. With beading, i had to get crimp beads and a crimper. And the right kind of wire for the beads and the crimper, meaning the wire had to match the crimper had to match the crimp beads.

Here's my first necklace, made with beads lying around the house from Tim's stitch marker days. There's a little Asian disk surrounded by little beads, and it floats! It really does. Crimp beads are magic. Today I made a second one, pictures soon.

This is fun...I can make a necklace in less than half an hour using a minimum of materials. It is hard to screw up. And if I do, it's just some wire that gets tossed out, and maybe a crimping bead or two. No biggee. Now this won't replace knitting, but it is a fun break.

Especially today. I woke up with vertigo, that turned into a migraine, that turned into an upset stomach. it is hard to concentrate on much, but I can do a necklace. Which is good.

Comments

Beverly said…
Our only Ben Franklin closed years ago. I really miss it.

You better watch out. Beading is addictive.
handeyecrafts said…
You have a Ben Franklin? God, I miss Ben Franklin stores.
kathy b said…
I love your floating necklace......it is awesome

Popular Posts