Shifting Gears

I'm trying to get my head around being in 'summer' mode...it should be easy but it isn't.
Being a Professor is one of those jobs that go from 0 to 60 in the fall and then from 60 to 0 (or, perhaps, to 5) in the summer. While I generally psyche myself up for the fall to prepare, I never think I need to psyche myself 'down' for the summer. And I do.

So this is what I'm trying to remember:
-I don't have to be in class at 8:30.
-I don't have any imminent deadlines hanging over my head.
-I don't have any grading to do.
-Even though I wrote a 20 item 'to do' list yesterday, I don't have to scratch everything off today. Or tomorrow.
-Even though cleaning the 'yarn room' seems overwhelming, if I take it a little at a time I'll get it done.

This time of year always makes me feel a little disoriented and somewhat sad, like a part of myself is put away for a while. It is worse this year, I think, because we had to move out of our building (construction) and I had to pack up my office and ship some of it home and some (most)of it to storage as I volunteered not to have an office during the duration of the construction. So I feel my 'there' is gone. Does that make sense?

I'm sure this will pass in a day or so, so bear with me.

Comments

Popular Posts