Vogue Knitting, Early Fall 2011 Review

It's June and it was about 40 degrees this morning here in Oregon but in the wacky crazy fashion world of Vogue Knitting it is early fall! So let's take a look at what we get in this issue where the 'Red Hot Trend" is "Knit Fantasy" (hoo boy) and the other cover line is "Cape Play" because who does not. Love. A. Cape. Raise your hands.

You may follow along with me here: http://www.vogueknitting.com/magazine/early_fall_2011_fashion_preview.aspx

The Good: There's a very cute article on knitting inspired mugs.

I also have to say I like #18,the "Inversion Theory" jacket because it can be worn upside down or wrongside up...you get what I"m saying. However, it needs about 1/3 of a mile of merino which does not come cheap. I'm holding out to look at the new book, Knit Swirl. Anyway. There are 30 patterns which should make this a good value but...

The Bad: Of the 30 patterns:
-5 are for capes, which I won't wear. And I would wear a cape if it was like, you know, cape like. Think Batman. Cruella DeVille. Meryl Streep in "The Devil Wears Prada." These are not those capes.
-3 hippy dippy mohair things. One looks like it has growths on it.
-2 crochet (I think) vests. Even if they're not crochet, they look like 60s crochet. You know. Hippy dippy,
-1 cowl. Ugh.
-4 "Maude" like long vests. I love a long sweater. A long vest, not so much.
-This: I don't understand how this blue cardigan works.


-and a handful of sweaters that make me yawn.


The Ugly:
Look at these sleeves:
What is wrong with her arms?

Bottom line: I hope you find something you like in this issue. I really, really, do. But this reminds me of a really bad Verona. Oh VK. I'll hold out some hope for late fall.

Comments

Ling said…
It's not inspiring, is it? There are 1 or 2 things I like, but as my queue is so long, they're not a priority.
TennTwin said…
It made my eyes hurt.
thatissocute said…
I love the Inversion Theory sweater..but didn't see the pattern in the magazine. Did I just miss it? Or is it available elsewhere?
Chrisknits said…
I love the Inversion sweater too. And actually, one of the shoulder wraps is lovely. I don't care for the string they wove through the top, but a deeper ribbing would do the trick for me. I do like the blue sweater you question the workings of.
I was afraid the Inversion was going to take a lot of yarn. Oh well, maybe I can find a good sale at Webs.