May Day--or--welcome to the first day of the rest of my life

Intriguing title, no?


 First, let's start with the knitting. The drop stitch scarf is going well--while oranges are not my favorite color, the Big Knitting Lesson from Noro yarn is "just go with the Noro flow".  The colors work, although arguably they shouldn't. While the pattern itself seems a little daunting, it is actuall easy to memorize. So I kind of love this scarf. I actually bought another Noro yarn to make another if I wanted to, and I think I want to. It might be a bit thinner though--maybe three squares instead of five. We'll see.

I also got some winding mojo back and last Monday did some winding in preparation for summer knitting. I have three projects on the list. First (and I've already cast on) is Fine Tune using Cascade Heritage in Grey and accent yarns from the stash. Second is Teardrop Crescent and I have some yarn from Color Shift to do this one (purples and blues). Finally, there's Thorntower and I bought yarn in a navy blue for that. Plus yesterday the Yarn Harlot talked about This and I think I might put that on the list too. Plus socks for Tim because some of his favorites have worn out. 

Second--and the reason for the post title--is that I'm making some positive health changes in my life. There's nothing wrong, but yesterday was my birthday and I realized that I no longer can take health for granted..the pounds creep on and the cholesterol creeps up. I can easily rationalize not eating well and not exercising, but I decided to give a gift to myself (ok, I roll my eyes as I write this) and work on being healthier. So. A few weeks ago I bought some exercise DVDs from Women's Health--one was the ten minute workout which even I could do. So this morning I did ten minutes of Lower Body. And it was fun, so I did ten minutes of Upper Body. I can do 10-20 minutes a couple of times a week. So I will.

I'm also going to focus on eating better. To THAT end--today is the first day of our CSA (community supported agriculture). We are trying a different farm (although CSAs are kind of like the stock market, you have to be in it for the long haul because one growing season might not really be representative of what the farm can do). I'm eager to see our first box and to work on USING THE ENTIRE BOX unlike our former CSA where the vast majority of the box went to feed our rabbit Louise (who shed her bunny coil several years ago).

What does all this mean for you, you ask yourself? Well, I will still be sharing lots and lots of knitting here. I will also be briefly mentioning exercise and food stuff just to keep myself honest--this will come at the bottom so you can blerp over it if you want to. Forewarned is forearmed.

Whew this was a long post!

Comments

kathy b said…
I will follow your healthy tips! what workout titles are you using?