This week

It has been kind of a weird week--I feel like I never got back into the swing of things at work. This is the last week of classes (I have my final freshman interest group class tomorrow) and our grad students went out on strike. While I don't have any classes big enough to have GTF (grad teaching fellows), the mood on campus is very divisive. Unpleasant. Loud. No end is in sight.

I've had a cough this week and so much of the week (when I wasn't working) was sitting on the sofa and trying to rest the cough out. Today was the best day of the week but I'm still not great. We have tickets for the symphony tonight so I plan Dayquill and honey lozenges so I can go and enjoy the concert.

Monday night was the banquet for FIG faculty and assistants (FIGs are the aforementioned freshmen interest groups). Every FIG has both a faculty member and an undergrad assistant, and the banquet was to thank us all (we take on FIGs as overloads to our regular class schedules and get paid a bit for the work). My assistant, Casey, really worked hard and I know he really wanted to go to the banquet. That is the type of thing that generally I hate (strangers) but I knew he really wanted me to go. So we went.

And. It was themed. Dress-up themed. "Come as your favorite Wes Anderson character." Casey went as someone (?) from Grand Budapest Hotel, and I went as a crew member from The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. And of course only about ten per cent of people dressed up. But it was kind of fun.

So now I'm waiting til the grading comes in. Six page papers from 20 come in Tuesday, 25 page papers from 12 come in Thursday. And short papers from the FIG students tomorrow. These papers won't get the level of feedback that I usually give, and students seem OK with that. It shouldn't be too onerous to grade, and hopefully I'll be done early next week (if not before).

I've done a bit more work on the Elsebeth Lavold sweater, as you can see.

What's up with you?

Comments

KSD said…
Sorry about the campus nastiness. Take comfort in your yarn.