Book Review: Euphoria

Let us pause in our knitting (well, who really pauses...if you're like me, you knit and read at the same time) and while I bound off Siesta AND finished the body of the Last Minute Baby Sweater---let us pause and talk about a book.

The book is Euphoria, by Lily King. It isn't a long book at all---it is probably too long to technically be a novella but it is short for a novel. Anyway. My friend Lauren recommended it to me since she knew I loved "State of Wonder". I love this book too.

Briefly: it is a fictionalized account of a period in Margaret Mead's life when she went to New Guinea. It is in reality a story of power, love, and trying to know the unknowable. Do we choose power over love? Knowledge over power? Love over knowledge? And why are these choices that must be made?

Anyway--three anthropologists (an American, an Australian and an Englishman) intersect on the Sepik river in New Guinea where they try to answer those questions I posed in the previous paragraph (or rather, they deal with the consequences of their choices).

It is a book that will stick with me for a long time, I think.

What are you reading lately?

Comments

Rachel said…
Interesting. Will have to check into that. I'm reading very slowly lately...about a book a month. I've come to peace with the pace knowing that it'll pick up over summer in the field. I am currently reading a book called 'Etta and Otto and Russell and James' and enjoying it. A bit strange, but the story is pulling me in. I hear you guys got record rainfall the past few days...blow some of that our way please! ;)

Popular Posts