The Blue Willow Plate Project

A few nights ago I had
 a dream. A wonderful dream, Papa. Oops, kidding. The dream was that I knit a sweater that looks like a blue willow plate. 




I'm not a particularly big fan of blue willow plates, but honestly if you have a dream about something, you owe it to yourself to follow through on the dream, right? So I googled many permutations of blue and willow and plate and knitting and I found a sweater pattern that seems to be right up my alley.



The problem was that it is in an out of print book that the library doesn't have. But I did find a not-expensive copy on Amazon, and I bought it. It is from the "Edina Ronay Collection". Here is a bit about Miss Edina:

"Edina Ronay has earned critical acclaim for her luxurious handmade knitwear, detailed tailoring and exquisite evening and summer dresses. She has dressed some of the most elegant and beautiful women in the world, from Royalty to red carpet stars including The Princess of Wales, Twiggy, Jerry Hall, Nicole Kidman, Scarlett Johansson and Kate Moss, amongst many others."

I think she designed this book for Rowan because everything uses Rowan yarn. I was kind of taken aback by the great quantity of yarn needed for this sweater, but this explains it:



The ACTUAL MEASUREMENT for a small has a bust of 47 inches. As I perused the book, I realized it has a nice Bennetton vibe from my youth. And indeed:


1988. The book is from 1988.

So here's the thing. I have 1370 yards of white yarn and the same amount of dark blue. I think I can do a cute little cardigan with the same pattern as the huge sweater at the top, and I can integrate the pattern into there. In fact, I found ANOTHER pattern for a knitting blue willow tea cup in Unexpected Knits and I could integrate that pattern in there too.

What do you all think? Am I insane?

Comments

KSD said…
Perfect. Go for it.
elns said…
Do it! I have a huge affection for blue and white plates. It's embarrassing that even my children's friends know this. I love your journey to the pattern alone. I would love to "watch" you knit this up the way you would like it.

Popular Posts