ToT: Visiting Cities

Today's Ten on Tuesday is 'what I love about visiting cities' and Carole talked about visiting Boston. I thought I'd do my ToT about Auckland!

  1. Auckland is very clean--so clean that there are people with giant vacuum cleaners walking around vacuuming.
  2. Teeny tiny restaurants with amazing food all over the place--we had great Indian food at a little restaurant that had maybe eight things on the menu and maybe ten or fifteen seats.
  3. Little surprises everywhere you wandered--turning a corner and seeing a cool light fixture or smelling some incredible food.
  4. The wharf--kind of the heart of the city.
  5. Nods to maori culture in carvings and signs and everywhere.
  6. The multicultural atmosphere--such a nice break from the hipster vibe happening in Eugene.
  7. Birds everywhere. Beautiful birds.
  8. Being able to walk everywhere and feeling safe doing so.
  9. Museums that were very visitor friendly--really well set up.I also love that Auckland residents get free admission to most museums.
  10. Not having to tip at restaurants and in taxis. 
I miss living in cities. I lived off of Michigan Avenue in Chicago and sort of in the South End in Boston (I lived off of St Botolph if you know Boston) and I also lived between Central and Harvard squares in Cambridge. There are downsides of course to city life but when you're young it is pretty awesome.

Comments

kathy b said…
I think cities are great for the young and the older. Its the middles that need those suburban things that make raising kids easy: for instance: sidewalks and shade and some quiet bike paths

Popular Posts