NaBloPoMo: Day 2

I wanted to catch you up on reading and watching (I would usually put this in yesterday's post but yeah, NaBloPoMo dudes).

Watching: we started watching Season 1 of "The Knick" and it is good--bloody but good (it is about a hospital in 1900 New York). Also started the new season of 'The Comeback' with Lisa Kudrow and it is really funny.

Reading:  I finished "The Clasp" by Sloane Crosley. It was OK. It was sort of a contemporary retelling of the short story "The Necklace" but in a post-modern way where "The Necklace" was an essential part of the retelling of the story. So that is sort of a clever premise but it wasn't as good as I thought it could have been. Mostly because of the three main characters it was hard to like any of them.

I started reading "Everybody Rises" last night and I like it--I'll write more about it later.

Yesterday I read what is sadly the last new Ruth Rendell mystery every. I discovered Dame Ruth's work late in life (I think it is OK to call her a Dame--she has some type of honor from the British) and was sad to hear she passed away earlier this year. Anyway, her last book is 'Dark Corners' and it was good--creepy but not in a scary way. Sort of the horror that lives in someone's mind.

I haven't read a lot of the Inspector Wexler series--I think most of the ones I read were written after he retired--so it is good to know there's a bunch more I can explore in the future.

POLL: do you have a favorite Ruth Rendell book?

Comments

Bridget said…
I really like "The Knick" - it is one of my favorite time periods, particularly in NYC. But you are correct, it's not for the faint of heart, and definitely not something to record and then watch while having a meal ...
kathy b said…
NO I dont read that author. Fun to see what's out there though!

Popular Posts