Retro Thanksgiving Ideas

Thanksgiving will be the two of us (the way I prefer quite honestly) so the table will not be overstuffed: we'll have the bird, stuffing, mashed potatoes, steamedgreen beans, a hearts of palm salad and a chocolate pot de creme for dessert.

OK that's a lot of stuff.

But here are some of the things I must say I miss from my youth (I grew up in the 60s)  (and please note I would never do these unless we were doing a retro thing with lots of people):

Green Bean Casserole

 Sherbet Punch

Cranberry Jello Salad


Did you ever have a non traditional Thanksgiving? One time in Boston I went to my friend Liz's house and we boiled lobsters. Once I made paella. I think we've also made chinese food. Sometimes though it is just easier to do the classics!

What are your favorite Retro or Non traditional Thanksgivings?

Comments

kathy b said…
Favorite retro: the SKIN of that turkey. I can't eat it this year.
Retro loves include: Green bean casserole
my granma's stuffing with celery and onions and bread only and butter
and pumpkin dump cake
fillyjonk said…
OMB, sherbet punch. Also known, in its simple sherbet-and-gingerale form as "church punch" around here, because it is served (sometimes in two varieties: green AND pink) at every church function.

The funny thing is, I kind of like it, especially if you use good (not-too-sweet) sherbet and ginger ale.

Also, at least at Christmastime, that gelatin salad with strawberries (usually frozen) and a pretzel crust is a big thing around here. And little cocktail sausages in a grape jelly and ketchup sauce.

I never cared that much for green bean casserole; my family usually has corn (and brussels sprouts for them that will eat them - I won't, because they're the boiled kind) as the vegetables along with sweet potatoes (not the gooey marshmallow casserole, just fairly plain ones)
Bridget said…
Wow, green bean casserole ... I used to love that stuff!

I don't miss eating turkey for Thanksgiving now that I am a vegetarian, but I do miss pulling tendons out of the turkey legs the night before - that was always a big deal in our house. :-)
elns said…
I'm going traditional. I love stuffing and gravy.

My secret non traditional Thanksgiving is staying home. shh. I know, it makes me sound like such a spoiled brat. But sometimes I'm very tired. shh.