Stockings!

A while ago I posted a photo of a stocking that matched our new tree skirt, and I am in the processing of finishing a second one as well. One will be for me, one for Tim.

This still needs blocking and I have a natural-colored edge for the top of the stocking. The other stocking will be natural with a red edge.

Our 'current' tree skirt and stockings were made while we were engaged and when I wasn't a knitter--the stockings are needlepoint on plastic canvas and the tree skirt is white satin with white embroidery and paillettes (is that right? Sequins?). The knitted ones really do reflect more of who were are now and are more 'earthy' I guess. But hey, 20 years was a good run for the other ones!

Do you update your stockings and tree skirt or do you stick with the one you've had for a while?



Comments

Bonny said…
It might be heresy to update out stockings! My grandmother made mine, and my mil made my husband's. I mended both of them after a mouse chewed some holes, but I just can't picture new ones (or maybe I'm just lazy!) I do love yours, plus a matching tree skirt!
elns said…
I love that you're taking on the stockings. I like the concept of the different decorations representing different stages of the you guys in what sounds like a solid journey!
Dee said…
We don't "do" stockings anymore, but Stephen used to have a plain red knit one with a white cuff.

Our tree skirt is just a little velour one from the Home Depot.

I probably *should* make a nicer one, but sheesh ..... when would I fit that in with the bajillion other things I want to knit. LOL
KSD said…
I usually have to scramble for a tree skirt each year. Briton and Hannah use the stockings I made (counted cross-stitch) for their first Christmases. I have my stocking from when I was little, but use my counted cross-stitch one.
Linda said…
I haven't had a stocking to hang in many many many years! But I always used the same ones when I did hang them. I use the same tree skirt each year - it is one of my traditions!

Linda in VA
fillyjonk said…
I always go to my parents' for Christmas and we still use the stockings we had for years. My mom even made stockings for the cats...I admit the first Christmas after the cats died, it was very sad going to get the stockings and finding theirs still in the box with the others....

somewhere here I have just a plain craft-store stocking my piano teacher used one year at a Christmas party and then gave one to each of her students, but I don't put it up as there's no one here to fill it for me.