Happy Solstice!

Today is the Winter solstice--the shortest day of the year (and to my friends in the Southern hemisphere--I guess this is Summer solstice--the longest day of the year!). One thing I do like about the Winter Solstice is the idea that each day gets a bit brighter--a bit more hopeful. And for many people that relates to the idea of the birth of the Christ chid. It has been a dark end of the year but I thought I'd take a moment and think about some of the things that are signs of hope at the Solstice.


  • Oregon (and I guess much of the West) is now officially 'drought free' after so much rain this fall.
  • Our knowledge of treatment of disease is improving: the number of people who survive a cancer diagnosis is currently 14.5 million and will increase by 33% by 2024.
  • Global demand for ivory is decreasing and the price of ivory has fallen by 50%. Yay elephants
I truly believe that people--that individuals--can make a difference and try to remember every day to make a positive impact on the world, even if it is just a simple 'thank you' to someone who isn't expecting it or smiling at someone instead of looking down at my phone. The introduction to the novel "Howards End" (one of my all time favorites) starts with the words "Only Connect" and I do think if we worked harder at that the world will slowly be more hopeful. 

"Live in fragments no longer."-EM Forster

And in knitting news--the first third is about 2/3 done (Quick! Math People! How much of the entire blanket is done? I think it is 2/9!


It looks like waves, yes?

Comments

kathy b said…
I think i qualified. A frantic dad and sons were looking for cinnamon dots in teh candy aisle. I asked to help. I said they are in the baking aisle. The dad was hugely thankful!
Dee said…
I am absolutely appalled by the hate stirred up by the media. I think if there was no TV news we all might get along a whole lot better.

As one that does not personally celebrate Christmas, I still wish Merry Christmas to folks and you know what? Not one has been offended.

Neither am I .....if wished a Merry Christmas my answer is to YOU TOO, figuring that they probably DO celebrate and who doesn't want good wishes for that day or any OTHER day.

Hope YOU have a wonderful Christmas filled with joy!

And in 2016 I hope we all try just a little bit more to reach out. You never know whose day will be just a little bit brighter because you tried.

:-)
Kim in Oregon said…
Happy Solstice to you Dee! And thank you for the wishes!

Popular Posts