My own private ToT

Ten on Tuesday is on vacation--WHAT WILL I BLOG ABOUT?

So I'm creating my own private Ten on Tuesday--although you are more than welcome to join in. My topic is ten things I take for granted and really need to not do that.

1. My health. I take my health for granted less now than I did since I'm dealing with a slight thing that needs to be managed. But how lucky am I to be past the 50 mark and I'm still able to life weights, do aerobics, take a good walk with the dogs, pick up stuff if it needs picking up, etcetera--and feel OK the next day.

2. The roof. I should thank it every day for keeping everything I love dry and safe.

3. Tech people. Anyone who answers my anguished cries with a calm response and a fix. I have great tech people at work and a pretty amazing one across the dinner table as well.

4. Electricity. I tend to freak out when it goes out so I do take it for granted.  But electricity--it is awesome.

5. Tenure. Yes, I'm lucky I'm employed by a place that finds it important to guarantee my job unless I do something like kill a student or something. I question the value of tenure for people who are horrible people but whenever things get tough (as they are at my University right now), tenure is a big sigh of relief when budgets are being cut right and left. I worked hard to earn tenure (and work harder than many to keep it) so it isn't like tenure is a weird gift---but I do take it for granted.

6. Rain. We missed it last year (not so much this year) and I have to remember to be thankful for it when I'm straightening my hair for the fourth time in a day (first world problem alert!).

7. Fiber stuff. I take it for granted that I can walk into the fiber room and easily start just about any project that tickles my fancy. I'm knitting down my stash (only a few fill-in yarn purchases in the past year) and this helps me to not take it for granted.

8. Amazon. I tend to assume Amazon will have everything I need and be able to send it to me within days. What a lucky world we live in to have Amazon! Even if you never use it, just the ability to have something to find something strange is wonderful.

9. Music. What would our world be like without music? Yet we assume it will always be there when we need it. I'm fortunate to be able to expand my musical horizons with a man who is also musically adventurous.  That helps me not take things for granted

10. Relationships. This is something I work hard on all the time---I guess I'm getting to that point in my life where I start thinking  "what will the world be like without this person in it". I think I have a bad history of taking some people for granted and I don't want to be that person.

So there is my little attempt at ToT. You are welcome to try it as well!

Comments

Rachel said…
I like your list. I would have some similar stuff in there. I do find it interesting what age one has to be before we stop taking our health for granted. Or if it's not any set age, but happens once something scares us? One of the things I take most for granted is that we are able to afford: that skein of yarn, that book, that ipod to make sure I always have my music, that expensive ingredient for the perfect dinner recipe. I don't abuse it by any means, but I do take it for granted at times.
elns said…
It's a good list. I think I could quote your relationships paragraph, literally. Also, I was surprised how much the Amazon one struck me. Lastly, "But electricity--it is awesome." I feel like we could get t-shirts or maybe bumper stickers out of that, non? Thanks for sharing!
AsKatKnits said…
Great list! And, yes I agree with everything here!

Especially #7...