ToT: The Superstitious One

While I'm not a really superstitious (or that was my immediate reaction upon reading Carole's blog this morning, I'm going to jump in on this one with a twist (of course)--how much of these superstitions do I actively devote cognitive resources to?

  • Knock wood: 100% or thereabouts--if someone says something positive will happen I almost always SAY 'knock wood' and almost always look around for wood to knock.
  • Bad things come in threes: probably about 100% in terms of stopping and thinking what other bad things have happened lately.
  • The Daisy 'love me love me not'--95%--as when I was a teenager I killed many daisies looking for the right outcome.
  • Coins in wishing wells: 50%--why not?
  • The Scottish Play: 50%:  there is a theatre superstition that you NEVER say the name of Shakespeare's Scottish play out loud (not sure if it is in a theatre only where this ban occurs). I try not to name the name out loud if I can help it.
  • Don't let a black cat cross your path: 0%. One better get over this one pretty quickly if one has a black cat as a housemate.
  • Friday the 13th: 0%. I forget this one all the time.
  • STabbing your needles through yarn gives you bad luck: 0%--I do this all the time.
  • It's unlucky to wear opals unless they are your birthstone: 0%--I have some opal earrings I love!
  • Boyfriend sweater superstition--not sure as I have never knit Tim a sweater. So maybe that one IS 100%

Comments

AsKatKnits said…
LOL I love your take on this!!
Donna said…
Well, I wasn't really a knitter when I married my hubby so I don't know about that one. I agree with the black cat - I just love mine.
Kwizgiver said…
I don't know the boyfriend sweater one. I'll have to look that up.
kathy b said…
Im always stabbing my yarn with needles! Ha! Good luck: hearing a cat sneeze
having a bird make a nest on your property
and
when a baby boy wets you during a diaper change!
rosy said…
I never say the name of the Scottish play either. But sometimes I wonder if I sound pretentious so I cop out by saying 'Oh you know, the one about the Scottish king'. But that's probably even worse haha.