ToT: BOOKS!

I'm a big reader and Carole's prompt today is a great one: 10 Books That Made ME Want to Drop Everything and Read.

Here goes:
1. Little Women. I was very young the first time I read this and remember not knowing what era this was set in or even where in the world this was set. As a girl growing up without a father, it made me feel less of an outsider (of course Mr. March comes back, blah blah, but whatever).

2. I Capture the Castle. I was in High school when I found this in my high school library and have probably read it every year ever since. Again, I had no idea what era this took place in but I did know it was England. Again, a girl with an absent father who Managed OK. This book might have started by life long anglophilia.

3. Harry Potter (we'll put all of them under one number). Such wonderful escapism. And boy with absent parents who Managed OK. I like #4 the best--which is your favorite?

4. State of Wonder. I know this is a highly controversial choice since many of us just want to slap the narrator in the face for much of it. But of course it has to go on the list since girl with absent father etcetera.

5. E, The E Before Christmas, and E2 by Matt Beaumont. A very funny group of books set in a London ad agency (anglophile) and it is all done in emails/memos etcetera. He knows his territory.

6. Brideshead Revisited. I can't recall if I read the book before I saw the BBC version but it doesn't matter--simply one of the most beautiful and evocative books ever written.  Et in arcadio ego.

7. The "Discovery of Witches" series--this is one of the series heralded as the 'next Harry Potter' and the premise sounds goofy: what happens when a witch and a vampire fall in love? But there's academia and science and history and challenges and a girl with an absent father who runs into him in Shakespearean England and I really like them!

8. The Thirteenth Tale. Such a good and evocative mystery.

9. Anything by Elinor Lipman. She writes light novels with great characters (strong women) that I can read over and over and over.

10. The Dive from Claussen's Pier. I haven't read this in a while but I want to go read it again now.

I'm eager to read everyone else's and get some good reading ideas!

Comments

elns said…
Oh Kim, this is fun! I wasn't planning on posting today, but it was so fun reading your list that I might have to do one, just for the self reflection it brings around! Yeah I'm a bit of a reluctant Anglophile as well, I always thought I was a Francophile first, shrug, maybe a bit of both?

I was just writing on Kathy's blog that I haven't been reading lately but that if I have a chance, a cup of tea or soup on a Saturday I seem to always have Harry Potter around, in the bedroom, on a kindle or something etc. I'm pleased you listed ALL of them. hehe. But I would say that #5 is my favorite. It was a pivotal point in the series -- harry goes from being protected by all to being looked at with far more skepticism than he's ever received en masse before. Also I think for a lot of kids (not that I am or was one when I first read it) it was an introduction to the political corruption and conspiracy plots in a good story/book.
Kim in Oregon said…
You know as I was writing that #4 is my favorite I struggled that I really do this #5 is 'better' in terms of the development. I think I just like the Christmas ball.
AsKatKnits said…
Great list! Lots of things I have not heard of, but I have added them to my library list! Thank you Kim!
Kwizgiver said…
Loved a lot of the books on your list. I'm adding the E books!
rosy said…
Hmm. 1, 2 6 and 8 on your list I loved. 'State of Wonder'seemed so far fetched but then I'm not a scientist so maybe that's why it didn't appeal. Harry Potter? I loved the first one as it was so innovative but felt they deteriorated after that. Preferred the films which is unusual. I don't know the other four but would like to try them.