Friday stuff

I'm still not quite in the swing of summer--I have plenty to do and plenty of time to do it, and I think that might create some issues with getting focused and getting stuff done. Next week I do have a few meetings so that will provide some framework, and of course we're on cria watch for a while. My twinster asked if alpacas can be induced--I did a bit of research and learned they can be induced. The gestation period is 344 days, and in general once they get about 365 days there are induction discussions. Rachel--do you ever have to induce caribou?

1. I went to the Black Sheep Gathering this morning--not a lot to tempt me since it seemed to focus on wool and sock yarns and I have plenty of those. In the olden days, some big stores would bring boxes of stuff and have nice sales. Now, it is mostly independent dyers with beautiful yarns but just nothing I'm in the market for given the size of the stash.

I did buy this for the table runner I"m planning:

It is 22/2 cottolin and looks like it would be nice for a table runner (it isn't soft at all, and it seems to be kind of stiff given that it is 40% linen).

2. I blocked the mitten and it looks a bit better. I forgot to show you the 'other' side--since the theme is the '12 days of Christmas' every mitten has a number that can be on the mitten itself or knitted on the thumb. I chose the 'back' of the mitten--

3. I'm almost done with this:

Here's a close up:

4. Finally, we have a volunteer hollyhock that is dark magenta and glows in the sun:



 I do not have a green thumb but I've been very lucky with volunteers--this one and all the digitalis in the garden are all volunteers.



Comments

Rachel said…
For the wild but tamed down species that I work with (elk, deer, and caribou), induction isn't even a consideration. Often we don't know when they breed (we have a range of times they are with the bull/buck but not conception date) and even when we do, so many things can affect gestation length... For us, we monitor closely and only start worrying when labor has begun but the calf isn't coming out within a couple hours or if the mom starts showing signs of distress beyond what is normal for labor. That's past the point one would induce...instead we have to get in and pull the calf out. Sometimes the reason for the problem is a dead calf, a bad position, or too big of a calf and the mom can't get it out. But all that, we don't know until labor starts. Folks tend to be far more 'hands-on' with domesticated species though so I don't know if induction is common. When I worked horse farms through college, we also never induced a mare even though in the thoroughbred industry, birth date is really important (and where it is relative to january 1). Not much help here...but unless she had started labor and nothing is coming out, I would be hesitant to step in... Patience grasshopper...nature does things on its own time.

I really like that scarf...
KSD said…
I've just learned a whole bunch of stuff; thank you Twinnie and Rachel! I knew that you usually "just" wait with horses, but had no idea about other species.

Popular Posts