A New Day

Last week was, in a word, horrific. Alpaca are very tough animals (they are prey animals that live 1000s of feet above sea level) and stillborn births are rare. It is also rare that moms develop complications from birth, so it was a perfect storm of horror last week.

There were some good things that came out of it, and as I spend some time reflecting on things they pop out here and there like fireflies on a dark night. The love and support of the alpaca and sheep community, Ann's patience and calmness, the great help and advice of Dr. Long, even when he was traveling, and the wonderful care from the Large Animal Hospital at Oregon State. I learned so much last week about animals--both biologically and -- I guess I would call it spiritually.  I was accepted with open arms by the alpaca world and that was so nice, as I have been feeling without a place outside my family for a while.

Most of the time when I wasn't with the alpaca or at the farm I was staring into space, and did forget about the third 12 Days of Christmas sock. But I did cast on for it Saturday night and got a start on it:

Three french hens. But they haven't arrived yet.

Comments

kathy b said…
More hugs. Your take on it being a time of receiving love is wonderful. Such hard losses tho. Your sock is lovely KIM Hugs hugs hugs
Bridget said…
I understand your situation so well. I'm glad you have had support and love from so many places. It doesn't make the hurt go away, but it does help you know you're not alone.

I am looking forward to seeing the Three French Hens - I think it looks like such a fun project and can't wait to see them all at the end. :-)