Balancing it out

Here's a question that sounds like a Kathy Quora question: would you rather have a week filled with huge ups and downs or a week that is all on an even keel? Of course we can't really choose, can we: life is what it is and the only thing we can control is how we deal with things.

This week has been an up and down week, with some major bumps in the road professionally (people flip flopping, trying to take over things that they shouldn't take over) but a few nice things have happened. I was asked to write an article for a very prestigious journal of Amazon Mechanical Turk because (to paraphrase the person who asked me) I am clearly the expert on this topic in the field of communications (!!!!). Of course I said yes. So that's nice. And I was asked to be the Deputy Editor of a journal I have published in before and truly respect--the journal wants to increase its editorial presence in the US (the editor is a Brit who lives in France, the other Deputy is my good buddy Gayle who is Australian and lives there). Then several positive meetings with grad students and a couple of projects moved forward (there's a deadline for a conference early in November, and I'm working with two students on papers for that). And I had a lovely lunch with one of my PhD students, Nets from Ethiopia, and we got his dissertation proposal organized. So that's all good.

And the Koi Pond has grown:

And there's a new Christopher Guest movie on Netflix and that makes me happy too.



Comments

kathy b said…
Sorry about the rough week. They make the nice ones even nicer dont they? Glad you could see some silver linings!
KSD said…
I LOVE the Koi Pond shawl. I'll be looking forward to seeing your progress.

Popular Posts