Yeah well.

I guess a 'thing' on blogs is to have some kind of summary post about the year.  I think every year has its share of challenges and successes, perhaps the unique thing about this year for me has been the challenges have been pretty darn challenging and the successes don't quite seem to balance them out. But I'll give it a try.

The good: I had a great sabbatical from January-March which gave me a huge hunk of time to get some research and writing done, and those chickens have come home to roost at the end of this year where I've seen a flurry of publication acceptances---two of which were to top journals. So that's good! Our book on Mechanical Turk has also raised my profile as an expert in this area. Knitting wise, I've continued to knit from the stash and to try new things (brioche! next up: two color brioche!). I started working out more and cut wayyyyy back on Diet Coke (although the magical 'and I feel 100% better than I ever have! has not occurred) and I read some great books.  I've become more involved with the alpaca community and have made some good friends there.

The bad: administrative changes have almost eliminated faculty governance at my University, and that's just hard. Brownie the alpaca's death from complications from childbirth is still hard to deal with, along with the profound experience of helping to deliver a stillborn cria.

The hope: Tim will finish his PhD next year and he won't have to work 24/7 (or let's say 16/7, since he does sleep). That will give us more time together. The dogs and cats continue to be healthy. My new alpaca, Tink, will deliver a healthy cria in August. And I'll figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life.

Happy New Year to you and yours!

Comments

kathy b said…
Kim, Thanks for taking me along. Brownies death was just brutal. I worried with each day and no new baby... Cria's passing was felt by me too. Here's hoping 2017 will be just wonderful with alpacas all the way round. Im excited for Tink.